Tuesday, June 3, 2014

2014 New Things #9: Watkins Glen State Park

If you've never been to Watkins Glen State Park, go. Mere words cannot express the awesomeness of the gorge - the rocks, the 19 waterfalls, the sheer size of it. It's one of the coolest things you can see for $8 per car.


And apparently it's great if you like hiking while wearing dresses or dress pants. For some reason, a lot of the other people there were dressed up in what I would call decidedly non-hiking attire. You know, because sometimes you find yourself at a fancy party and then you're like let's go hiking and look at some waterfalls. Actually, that sounds like my kind of party.





On Sunday afternoon (after I had brunch with 3 of my favorite ladies), Pete and I drove to Watkins Glen and hiked the Gorge Trail and Indian Trail (I got to try out my new Columbia hiking shoes and walk through puddles without getting wet - Thanks Eric!). Then we stopped at the General Store in Watkins Glen, where fortuitously we found orange bandannas! We bought 3 bandannas for $3 and change, plus we got a coupon for buy one get one free Ben & Jerry's. So of course we had to get waffle cones of deliciousness. On the way back home, we stopped at the Waterloo Outlets and scored some Montrail Rogues for 30-some bucks at the Columbia Outlet.



Hiking and Pete and ice cream and deals on trail running gear - that is my kind of adventure!


But to me, the most amazing thing is that this huge gorge was carved by erosion. Just some glacial melting that created streams that kept on keeping on, slowly and surely for years and years and years. That's some pretty epic proof that little by little, anything is possible.

Lyric of the moment: "Let's dance to joy division, and raise our glass to the ceiling. 'Cause this could all go so wrong,
 but we're so happy..." (This might become my theme song for TransRockies)


1 comment:

  1. I hope the shoes worked as advertised! I love walking around in mine with dry feet!

    ReplyDelete