Monday, June 30, 2014

2014 Race #8: Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run

My "goat horns" hair. Thanks to Shmeagans for these pics!
I didn't know much about this race going in. Just that it was about 6-7 miles and rumor had it there were cookies at the end. It was hot, humid and hilly, which hopefully is just the kind of run my body needs to get ready for TransRockies. I loved the sections through the woods, across the stream and over the planks. Every time I crossed one of the planks, I did a pirate voice in my head. Yarrr! Avast ye matey! Walk the plank! (That's about the extent of my pirate lingo.) I was less fond of the inferno-like meadow sections in the blazing hot sun. But sometimes enduring a little heat is worth it. I mean, you can't bake cookies without heat.

It was a tough course but it felt good. At one point I started to get what I thought was a stomach cramp, but then I walked a hill and burped and then I felt fine. If only all problems could be solved that easily. Somewhere around mile 5, Jude came up behind me and we got to chatting about her cute shorts and Lululemon, etc and we must have missed a turn because suddenly we were off-course and had to backtrack. But then we caught up with Pete and Steven again and then it was only a few more hills to the finish. So it all worked out. And I don't mind getting lost. It's all part of the adventure.

I didn't look up my finishing time because it's sort of beside the point. My goal this year is simply to run 14 races for the pure enjoyment of them. It's not about performance or achievement, it's about loving the race I'm in. This race was pretty easy to love. I got to run hard in some spots and cruise a little in others and cheer on my speedier pals and my speedier half.

After the race, we went to the Post-Goat pool party and spent the day lounging poolside, playing lawn games and hanging out in a posse of all-around awesomeness. At the end of the night, we were playing euchre and this happened:

2N-Jenn pointed out what we thought were bees, but Bob later told us were just June Bugs, hovering around the bushes lining the outside of the pool fence. I was like "What are they doing? Bee things? Pete said "Pollinating" but I heard "Power mating" and the conversation devolved from there into laughter and inappropriate jokes. Which is the way all good parties end.

After a tough day of racing and laying poolside, of course we had to get up early Sunday morning to run 12 miles on the River Chase course from Seneca Park to Charlotte Pier and back. Because that's how we do.

Lyric of the moment: "Oh, we all want the same thing. Oh, we all run for something. I'll be running, ooh I'll be running, 'til the love runs out, 'til the love runs out...."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment