Thursday, June 26, 2014

On that you can rely

I received a work email from a client that said "Hey, if I’m not good for my word what good am I?" It was a nice reminder to be dependable and follow through, to say what I mean and mean what I say. And it was a nice reminder that other people can be relied upon to do the same. 

Most of the time I'm all easy going and happy-go-lucky. But when something important comes up, I want it done right. The first time. And I'll admit to not having an overwhelming abundance of patience if it's not. I sometimes struggle with that, the depending on others part. I find it easier to be independent than to rely on someone else and risk being let down. But I don't want to make decisions out of fear of being let down or hurt. And too much independence can be isolating. That's not the way I want to live. It feels really nice to have people to depend on, to be part of a team. So maybe the key is picking the right people. Or adjusting my expectations. Or maybe I just have to remind myself that it's not the end of the world and everything will be alright and bonus points for being an excellent opportunity for indulging in some consolation cookies. (When the cookie crumbles, might as well eat it, am I right?)

I am still working on this. Sometimes people say things but then don't actually do them. And I don't know if it's because they didn't really mean what they said or they meant it at the time but then changed their minds. I have a hard time telling the difference. But I understand that life intervenes and plans change. In general, I think things tend to proceed towards ultimate awesomeness, but I don't count on anything until it actually happens. Unless it's one of those ideas that get stuck in my head. Because they are relentless and, however long or however much effort it takes, those dreams are coming true. If I say I want to go to (insert remote location here) or I love you forever, you can best believe I really, really mean it. Robot love is forever. (I saw some dude wearing a T-shirt that said that, so you know it's true.) On that you can rely.

Lyric of the moment: "And I, all I really want is you. You to stick around. I'll see you every day. But you have to follow through..."


No comments:

Post a Comment