Monday, January 24, 2011

And the only way past is through


Photo taken by Barb Boutillier from Fleet Feet
 It's funny how running mirrors my life. Or life mirrors my running. I ran in the Lake Effect Winter Trail Festival at Webster Park on Sunday. It was a 4 mile race on snowy trails, over logs and bridges, up and down hills, in the freezing cold. I finished in 39:10, which isn't bad, but I'm more excited about the fact that I didn't fall down. I have to admit that trail races are growing on me. They're more like obstacle courses, more dangerous and more invigorating than road races. And to be honest I needed the chaos on Sunday. It was nice to focus on running and jumping and not wiping out in the snow instead of on the chaos in the rest of my life. I feel like I'm in a life obstacle course as well, juggling a breakup, house/dog sitting for my parents, my bathroom renovation, and this stupid cold that keeps coming and going. The next 2 weeks are going to be a little messy, but in the end I think it will be for the best.

So sometimes I will be happy and laugh and life will be good. And sometimes I'll hear a song on the radio that will just wreck me and I'll start crying in my car and feel like an idiot. Such is life. Sometimes the shit hits the proverbial fan. And the only way past is through.

I am continually amazed at how awesome people are. Everyone has been so nice, telling me to call if I need to talk or inviting me over so I'm not alone. Even people I haven't known very long. Even when life sucks, it is still the best.

Lyric of the moment: "So, let go, jump in. Oh well, what you waiting for? It's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown. So, let go, just get in. Oh, it's so amazing here. It's all right 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown..."

1 comment:

  1. Great job on that race. I think the use of running to work through life is wonderful I wrote about it a while back....

    http://runericrun.blog.com/2010/11/16/hello-world/

    Hang in there keep on running!

    ReplyDelete