Sunday, January 16, 2011

Up in the gym, working on my fitness

I joined a new gym, but my old gym membership lasts until the end of January, so technically I now have two gyms. It feels kind of wrong, like I am cheating on one by going to the other. When I called to cancel my old gym membership, it was almost like a breakup. I have never broken up with anyone and I can't imagine trying. Breaking up with the gym was hard enough. They kept asking why I was leaving and what they could do to get me to come back. I didn't know what to say. It's not you, it's me? The thing is I really liked my old gym. I've been a member there for over 3 years, it was comfortable, I knew where everything was, the people there were mostly normal, sometimes hilarious (someone told me they saw two people making out in the free weights section once, like full on, get-a-room making out. You know, because the gym is so romantic.) But the new gym is closer to home and work, so it's really just a matter of convenience.

This morning I thought about going to the old gym one more time. (See, I would be terrible at breakups.) But I didn't. I don't want to go back, I only want to go forward. I went to the new gym and talked myself into doing weight machines even though I had to walk around all awkwardly until I figured out where everything was. A woman in the locker room was putting on lipstick before her workout, and another woman was wearing hot pants, a tank top and pink lace bra. Oh man, if this is the kind of place where you put on makeup and lacy undergarments just to get on a treadmill, it is way out of my league.

I'm still uncertain about new gym, but it's growing on me. They do have more magazines, nicer equipment. And smoothies. I think they had me at smoothies.

Lyric of the moment: "I still only travel by foot and by foot, it's a slow climb. But I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time.."

No comments:

Post a Comment