Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Because the sun is shining somewhere

From an email I received today: "The beautiful thing is that somewhere the sun is always shining. And concerning your future it is very bright." It was from my new financial advisor, so I'm assuming he meant my financial future. I'm not concerned about that. I'd rather have people than money. But the sun is shining here today, so there's that. And my future has always been a great unknown. I've never been able to predict where I would end up, so I should be used to the uncertainty by now. But the older I get, the more I crave some sort of security, even though rationally I know security is an illusion. None of us know what's going to happen or how many days we have left. Maybe I'm just looking for someone to say "However many days I have left, I'd like to spend them with you." Maybe that is what everyone is looking for.

I read the most adorable book - Dave Isay's "All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps." It's a collection of interviews with real people about their relationships, stories of love found and lost and found again. I like the old couples the best, the ones who have been together for 50 years, through all the ups and downs. I think I just like knowing it's possible, an ultramarathon of love.

One of the stories included the advice that for a successful marriage, there are 6 things you should always say to your partner: You look great, Can I help?, Let's eat out, I was wrong, I am sorry, and I love you.

I'll have to remember that.

Lyric of the moment: "However far away, I will always love you. However long I stay, I will always love you..."

1 comment:

  1. Im only 3 years in... but i agree those 6 are priceless... without them... i just dont see it being a happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete