Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It is the struggles that shape us

There is a saying: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." I try to remember this so I can do my best to react with compassion and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Everyone has difficulties. But I'm learning that it is those struggles that truly shape us. When times get tough you find out what you're really made of.

Will you run away from problems or will you face them head on? Will you take responsibility for your actions or will you blame others? Will you give up or will you give your all? Will you act from a place of fear or of love? Will you get stuck in the past or the future or will you embrace and accept the present?

I don't have any answers. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Sometimes I wish life was all ice cream and hugs, but then I think who would I be if everything always came easily to me, if I never had to struggle? I probably wouldn't be very interesting or empathetic or adaptable. And even ice cream loses its appeal if you eat it for every meal of every day.

I'm trying to remember that the times I feel the weakest are probably the times that are making me the strongest, that there are people who will accept me as I am, on good days and bad days, that even on the worst days, life is full of beauty and light and love.

Lyric of the moment: "I love the things that we should fear. I'm not afraid of being here..."





No comments:

Post a Comment