Saturday, April 16, 2011

20 miles worth of long distance run

Well I survived my first 20 mile run today. The weather was brutal: cold, rainy and seriously windy. At times it was so windy and the rain was hitting my face so hard it hurt. I'm really hoping that race day will be much nicer. But I guess if I can run in this crap, I can run in anything.

I wore the compression socks, and they seemed to help a little, but my ankles started to hurt at the end. And as soon as I stopped running, I was freezing. I have never been so happy to get home and take a shower.

Most people at Fleet Feet were only running 12 or 14 miles and there were no 9:00 or 9:30 pace group leaders today, but luckily I found someone else who was also doing the 20 mile route. And it turns out he's running the race in Cleveland too. Bonus!

The run really took a lot out of me though. I think I'm going to be pretty useless the rest of the day. On the agenda for tonight: stretch out on the couch, relax and wish someone would come give me a leg massage.

I remember a time when 3 miles used to feel interminable. Now I can run for 3 hours. So even though I'm tired and sorta out of it right now, I feel pretty awesome.

Lyric of the moment: "When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire..."

1 comment:

  1. interminable huh? solid word. Good run! No pace leaders? Good thing you paid all that money hahah

    ReplyDelete