Monday, April 28, 2014

2014 Race #4: Flower City Half Marathon

The Flower City Half has always been one of my favorite races in Rochester. I love the course - the music, the hills, the cemetery, the fact that it runs right past my street. This year was my third time running this race and I think the real reason I enjoy it so much is that I've always had great company on this course. And that, my friends, is my only race strategy: relax and run next to a good friend. Bonus points if said friend happens to be a tall, funny dude.

My only goals for this race were to relax and enjoy it, no worries, no stress. But when Pete said he'd never run a half marathon under 2 hours, I was all like it's on, that is totally happening today! And it did. We finished in 1:57 and change. Sometimes I know things.

I don't know what it is about this course - maybe muscle memory from all the training runs Eric and I used to do on it - but as soon as it starts, my body is all it's go time! and takes off. I even love the hills, plus I know there are going to be drummers at the top! This year I even got to watch a helicopter land as we were running out of Mt. Hope Cemetery and into U of R. And, best of all, Pete held my hand as we crossed the finish line.

"Clap along if you know what happiness is to you?" What
are my hands doing in this picture?

Another great day in the books! The only downside to this race was that twice I saw a sign that said "Hey girl, Ryan Gosling is waiting for you at the finish!" but sadly I must have missed him. Gotta run faster next year ;)

I'm falling in love with trail running but I will always love the roads too. I want to run everywhere - roads, trails, beaches, to the moon!

Lyric of the moment: "Come on with me. Tramps like us, baby we were born to run..."

No comments:

Post a Comment