Saturday, April 5, 2014

Almond butter and other epiphanies

I was slightly annoyed that my doctor sent me a letter implying there was something to be worried about, only to charge me another $15 copay and then tell me it was basically nothing. I was unaware I was dealing with the Fox News of doctors. But all's well that ends well. And if I have to pay $15 for news, I'll take good news over bad any day.

To be honest, I was never really that worried. I think other people were worried for me, and maybe I should have been, but I just never think that anything bad is going to happen to me. And since I am incredibly lucky, that delusion has proven to be true time and time again.

I've spent a significant amount of time this week running through mud and rain and trails that were more like streams. And I realized that the more I struggle against it, the more I want it to be something it's not, the more miserable I will be. But if I embrace the messiness and chaos, I will enjoy it. There is awesomeness on a dry trail on a warm, sunny day and there is awesomeness on a muddy, rainy, sloppy one. There is no right path. There is something amazing to see on all of them. If things get messy, I can always get clean again. If I fall down, I can always get back up again. On the sloppiest, slipperiest slopes, someone will be there to lend a helping hand.

Someday my luck might run out and I might have a smash up with some bad news. So I want to remember this: I don't have to struggle against it. I can embrace it and find the humor in it and make the best of it and ask for help (or maybe just almond butter. Thanks to the awesomeness of Pete, I have discovered that the AB&B sandwich is as delicious as my one true love, the PB&B) and keep going.

Lyric of the moment: "But after that the floodgates opened up. And I fell in love with everyone I saw..." (Because it's one of my all-time favorites. And so so true.)

No comments:

Post a Comment