Sunday, April 27, 2014

Onward and ever more awesome

I use the word awesome a lot. I can't help it. Life is breathtakingly, awe-inspiringly, mind-bogglingly amazing and I don't understand how anyone could not be head-over-heels in love with it.

Take this weekend, for example. So Friday when I was leaving work, this happened:

Bill: "What's the matter, kid? You look tired."
Me: I kept getting woken up with charlie horses last night."
Bill: Good luck with your Charlies and your Charlie Horses. Calling boyfriends a horse, that's a new one."
Me: (laughing hysterically)
Bill: "Geez I really have to watch what I say around you. It can be misconstrued."
Me: (almost dying from laughing)
Bill: We have a strange friendship, don't we?

Then I came home to find awesome packages from Emelyn and Gram. And so began a weekend of awesomeness that included a free yoga class that was a good workout and a good laugh, drinking hot chocolate at The Little with Pete and Chris while listening to a lady sing one of my favorite Cake songs, watching Pete rock the duathlon Saturday, falling asleep on the couch and waking up to Mozzie cuddling with me/snoring in my face, pizza and movie night and running the Flower City Half Marathon with Pete on Sunday.

Pete said he'd never had anyone come cheer for him in a race before. But how could I not? This is the guy who, when I was sad from a breakup, somehow arranged it, from out of town no less, so that when I showed up to pilates my class had already been paid for and I was handed a care package of bananas and chocolate. And I think everyone should get to have a crew. For races and for life.

I've spent a lot of time recently thinking about things I did wrong so that I can find a better way forward. But then I have days like these and I think about all the people who have shown up for me in my life, and I realize, for all my failings, I must have done something right.

Lyric of the moment: "These feelings won't go away, they've been knocking me sideways..."

No comments:

Post a Comment