Sunday, July 6, 2014

2014 Race #9: Irondequoit 4th of July 10K

Photo by this hot guy I know
At the starting line of this race, I was kicking myself for running hard at the MedVed Thursday night trail run (Oh and did I mention the stinging nettles we ran through at Powder Mills Park? Pardon my French, but Merde!). During the run, I'd been telling myself to reign it in, hold back, save something for my 10K the next day. But my body had other ideas. I ran hard and it felt good. But I was sure I was going to pay for it during the race. Lucky for me, that didn't happen. I got to run with Jude and Rob for a bit and then Pete and Sonia biked alongside me for part of the second half. I'm not entirely sure what got into me during this race, but I hope it sticks around. I ran the fastest I've run in a long time and felt strong the whole way. I remember this as being a tough, hilly course, but thanks to all the trail runs, Fit1 and Alison's kale, I barely even noticed the hills. My 5K time in this race was faster than the 5K for ALS I ran a few weeks ago. I was just cruising. I mean, I was definitely working hard. But it felt amazing. I just had the feeling like this is what I'm here for, this is what I'm meant to do. And the only other time I ever feel that way is inside of a hug.

I've had enough bad runs to appreciate the hell out of the ones that go well. Some days everything goes wrong and I just have to gut it out and keep going. Some days the stars align and everything goes well and I'm just flying. And I have to wonder if it's the bad days that pave the way for the good ones.

I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday weekend than running trails and playing euchre and eating pizza and staying up late and getting up early to run again. And then getting up before dawn to go spectate at the Finger Lakes 25K. (Two N Jenn and I drove around the course, picking up a hitchhiker and cheering for Danielle, Bob, Alison and Pete, who all had great races! One of the other runners was like "You guys are everywhere. " That's right. The Jen(n)s are taking over!) And then eating Moosewood and ice cream and going to Flat Rocks. And on and on and on. For as many days as I get to be alive.

Lyric of the moment: "When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire..."

No comments:

Post a Comment