Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Things that are awesome

*Friends who will meet up at 6am on a Saturday to run extra miles and climb trees and clean up trails and make waking up before dawn totally worth it.

*Sunday morning, Pete wanted to run the Dam Good course at Letchworth and I, of course, said yes. Because when you're called to explore the infinite abyss,** you don't say no. It was dark and stormy and gorgeous, just us and the trails. And a nice family camping in a lean-to who cheered for us as we ran past.

*Monday night, Pete and I ran the loop from his house to Tryon and Lucien Morin parks, bringing my 3-day mileage total to 34. I know people who run 50 or 100 miles in one day, but for me 34 in 3 days is a milestone. I've never done 3 consecutive long runs before and it feels pretty good. Not good enough to assuage my fears that my legs are going to fall off during TransRockies, but it does make me feel very appreciative of all my running parts (and feel very lucky to know someone who wants to run 58 miles and sleep in a 7x7 tent with me).

*And I think I may have finally found my nemesis. I don't want to be better than anyone else, I only want to better myself. But it seemed like everyone else had a nemesis and I felt left out. So I have decided that Lucien Morin is my nemesis. Because running through his stupid park kills me and makes me feel like I'm in one of the 9 circles of hell. The one without ice cream.

*I successfully quit DirecTV (after an awkward 10 minute conversation where they tried to offer me a bunch of discounts and I said I just don't want it anymore and they kept asking what they did wrong and I felt like I should say something like "It's not you, it's me"). And, more impressively (to no one except me), I programmed my inherited universal remote to control my DVD/Netflix player. Yay for only paying $8 a month for TV instead of $80. Especially since lately the only things I'm home long enough to watch are the insides of my eyelids.

*My dryer is broken and the repair would cost $360. Which in and of itself does not seem particularly awesome, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to go all Shmeagan on that shit and see how long I can live without a dryer.

**I usually don't like watching movies more than once. Except for Garden State. I fall in love with it all over again when Zach Braff says "I don't want to waste any more of my life without you in it." Because that's how I feel about everyone.

Lyric of the moment: "I just wanna, I just wanna know, if you're gonna, if you're gonna stay. I just gotta, I just gotta know. I can't have it, I can't have it any other way..."

No comments:

Post a Comment