Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Rain or shine

Yesterday after work, we were watching the rain outside Pete's kitchen window, trying to decide if we wanted to go to the Tuesday trail trots. It was full-on pouring and windy and a tad thunderous. Alison suggested we could cross-train in her hot tub instead. I was up for either option. There is awesomeness to be found in the rain and there is certainly awesomeness to be found in hot tubbing. In the end, we all decided to go to the run. And it was beautiful. The rain cleared up, the puddle-filled trails offered a welcome respite from the humidity and the creek was gushing with rapids. It was pretty fantastic. I felt like there should definitely have been some crocodiles swimming around and some Indiana Jones theme music playing in the background.

Yet another example of how, if I relinquish my expectations of what I want to happen and embrace and enjoy what is happening, life can be quite magical. I have to keep reminding myself of this because it's really freaking hard to have no expectations. I'm trying to be in the moment and all that Zen business. But it's a lot easier to be all up in the goodness of the moment when that moment is raining men rather than raining cats and dogs.

I think sometimes I'm searching for reassurances, for signs that everything will be ok, that I will in fact arrive in Awesometown someday. But I know there are no guarantees in life, except that one day it will end. So I guess all I can do is try to experience as much of it as I can, rain or shine. And sometimes, as I'm dodging and weaving and puddle-jumping my way along, it hits me that maybe I was living in Awesometown all along.

Lyric of the moment: "In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die. And where you invest your love, you invest your life..."

No comments:

Post a Comment