Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Because it's good to have goals

At the end of this week, my parents are moving to Florida. It feels strange. And a little sad. I don't usually get attached to things, but I think I'm going to miss their house. Or more accurately, I'm going to miss having a place where I could just show up, anytime, unannounced, under any circumstances, whether it's sweaty and dirty from a run or crying over some stupid thing or some stupid boy, and find people who love me no matter what. There aren't many places in life you can come as you are and get love and snacks. But there should be. And I think, more than anything else, that's what I want my house to be: a place where everyone is always welcome to come as they are and get hugs and cookies (though if you want cookies, you may have to give me some advance notice so I don't eat them all myself. Cookies don't last very long around here). So further to that end, one of my summer goals is to fix up my backyard and have a patio installed. My parents gave me their fire pit and some wood, so once the landscapers are finished working their fancy landscaper magic on my yard, I want to have everyone over for fire and conversation and S'mores. And campfire euchre. Is that a thing? If not, I'm making it one.

For some reason I got it in my head recently that I wanted to complete a food challenge. (Who knows where thoughts come from?) But most of the ones I've seen so far involve meat and/or super spicy food, neither of which I eat. Still, I am determined to find one I can do. Ideally one that involves carbs/sugar. Admittedly, as far as goals go, this one is quite ridiculous. But what is the point of goals if they're not at least a little ridiculous?

Lyric of the moment: "We laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer night. Never could be sweeter than with you. And in the streets we're running free, like it's only you and me. Geez, you're something to see. Ahh, home. Let me come home. Home is wherever I'm with you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment