Thursday, July 17, 2014

On imperturbability. And muffins.

I wish I had an imperturbable peace of mind, that I was impervious to negativity. But I don't and I'm not. Sometimes I let other peoples' bad moods bring me down, because it upsets me when other people are upset. So how do I react with empathy and compassion without letting the Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers harsh my zen? I haven't yet figured this out. But perhaps it is enough to ask the questions and let the answers find me in time.

What I do know is that there is awesomeness in everyone. So maybe for now it is enough to see the best in people and accept them as they are, on their most epic days and on their most human ones. To look for the signs and lucky coincidences and tiny little moments of happiness that make me feel so eternally grateful to be here. To realize that there is value in every experience, but if I don't like something I can change it. And if I can't change it, I can change myself.

Sometimes it seems like people are looking for reasons to be upset and I don't get it. Why not look for reasons to be deliriously happy instead? They are everywhere. Like in this muffin I'm eating whose main ingredient is zucchini but whose other ingredients are chocolate chips and some kind of magic. (Because you are what you eat. And I want to be chocolate and magic.)

So I don't yet have an imperturbable peace of mind, but I do have a mind that is really quite ridiculous and always an adventure.

Lyric of the moment: "To settle for and settle down never really crossed my mind. Oh I'll be living dangerously with you instead..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment