Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fantastically, ridiculously, deliciously good things

I went to acupuncture last week to try and unblock my Chi or whatever it is that acupuncture does so that I could get rid of this cold and feel better in general. And because sometimes it's nice to sit in a tranquil room with soothing music and just relax for 45 minutes. Somehow my brain got the idea to imagine breathing in happiness and positivity and breathing out sadness and negativity, so I tried to focus on that for a while. It lasted about 1.27 minutes before I got distracted by 87 other thoughts, but hey I'll take it. I think my cold is finally going away (fingers crossed, and anything else I can cross for good luck).

I decided I'm going to focus on all the good things and happy moments of my days and try to let go of everything else. Life, I always say that you are awesome and have a way of working out for the best, so here's your chance to prove me right...

Some things that were awesome about the past few days:

Thursday, December 8th
*6am run with Shooter
*Getting a sweet Christmas bonus at work
*Pumpkin spiced chai
*Someone asked me what my song of the moment was and I said I wanted it to be Drive by Incubus, then later I was driving and that song randomly played on the radio.
*The plumber and the contractor hatched an ingenious plan that will fix the pipes and solve my house's problems
*Horoscope says "You have to be true to you if you want to find happiness and peace of mind."
*Shopping adventures with Meghan and Kelly
*Dinner at Monte Albans with my parents

Friday, December 9th
*Had a dream that I lived in (or at least was staying in, I'm a little hazy on the details) a super fancy hotel with a giant comfy bed
*I read this article which I thought made some interesting points and articulates a lot of the conflicting feelings I often have
*Getting out of work early
*Hot yoga
*Tasty dinner from Half Moon Salads
*Animal crackers. The camels and elephants are my favorite

Saturday, December 10th
*12 mile run on the golf course with Eric and Joe
*Almost finishing my Christmas shopping
*Catching up on my stories (i.e. the shows I DVRed during the week)
*Dinner and a pay-per-view movie

Sunday, December 11th
*Good workout at the gym (bonus points for treadmills with their own built-in TV's)
*Breakfast with Meghan, Becky & Kelly
*Vanilla chai at Starry Nights
*Making/taste testing Christmas cookies with Mom
*Psych (such a funny show)

Lyric of the moment: "Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there with open arms and open eyes, yeah. Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there..." (Though I really hope that tomorrow brings hugs and cookies. And people who want to cuddle up on the couch on cold nights to watch good TV and eat snacks.)

2 comments:

  1. LOVED that article! I'm fascinated by the ways that motherhood and lack thereof are portrayed on how I met your mother. It's so interesting to see how the media is constantly reinforcing our gender roles. In college there was some girl in one of my feminist classes who argued with me that she could raise her kids without gender roles. I was like, you might be able to do that at home, but the minute your kid has any contact with the outside world, it's going to know what role it "should" be playing. So sad.

    P.S. I smiled about your "stories" because that's what the old ladies in my life have always called soap operas. I don't picture you as a soap opera watcher. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that How I Met Your Mother addresses some of the complex feelings women have about motherhood. Some shows portray all women as automatically wanting kids as soon as possible and at any cost. I have more complicated feelings about it myself. I don't know if I'll ever have kids and I don't like how society pressures you into feeling like there's something wrong with you if you're a woman without kids.

    I don't watch soap operas. I just refer to the sitcoms and shows I watch as my stories haha.

    ReplyDelete