Thursday, December 8, 2011

Slow but perpetual forward motion

I came across this quote today: “Those who truly love us will never knowingly ask us to be other than we are.”

I thought it was nice. Of course people who love you should want you to be your authentic self. But I want have people in my life who love me for who I am and still encourage/inspire me to be better than I am.

I feel like this year has been two steps forward, one step back. But at least it's still forward progress I suppose. My first marathon was less than stellar, but the second one was much improved. I'm hoping that my next marathon will be even better. And that this upward trend will also occur in other areas of my life.

So far my running streak has lasted 38 days. I don't know if I should keep going or not. The momentum is nice but I can feel myself starting to get tired. I've been trying to distract myself by keeping busy. Acupuncture, group runs, going out with friends and watching funny shows and movies (The Muppet Movie was so cute and just the kind of funny I needed. But I totally want an 80's robot now!) My boss got me a free one month pass to the Midtown Athletic Club. Both of my bosses have been pushing me to join there for a while, but I don't know. It's such a fancy place, like for really fancy people who live in mansions, not for robots who live in small houses. I don't see how I could ever fit in there, but I guess I have a month to figure it out.

Lyric of the moment: "And we may never meet again, so shed your skin and let's get started. And you will throw your arms around me..." (Because I want to sell my house and move into this song. The cover version by Pearl Jam.)

3 comments:

  1. you do not give yourself nearly enough credit. you are an amazing, strong, and talented woman. own that!!! also, i like your thought that those who love us don't ask us to be anything other than ourselves, but they do push us to be better people. i don't think they love us because of what we could be, though. WE love them because of what we could be because of them. if that makes any sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am anti mid-town.... but you know that :)

    ReplyDelete