Friday, December 9, 2011

Yogadventures

Tonight I went to my first hot yoga class at Bikram Yoga. It's 90 minutes of stretching and sweating in a 105 degree room. Even I thought it was hot and I'm perpetually cold. I want to hibernate in that room all winter long. I'm not very flexible but I was surprised to find I could do most of the poses without falling over. I thought I would be self-conscious in front of a class full of people, but yoga has this way of forcing you to focus only on the current pose and to stay in the moment. The instructor was talking so fast about little baby fingers here  (yeah I have no idea why he kept saying the thing about little fingers) and reach there and put your left leg in and your right leg out that I didn't have time to think of anything at all. It was amazing. At times I felt a little light headed and I was dripping with sweat, but afterwards I felt loose and strong and the good kind of exhausted that comes from letting everything go.

I didn't run today so my streak is officially over. But this was exactly what I needed. A challenging yet relaxing workout, a brief respite from thoughts and worries, and a way to release and unwind.

Lyric of the moment: "And all I feel is black and white and I'm wound up small and tight and I don't know who I am..."

No comments:

Post a Comment